Spot is not having a good week.
Her back legs/hips are stiff, and it could be for a number of reasons.
- On Monday she tried to wrap my legs and stick with her lead, this lead to a near trip, which resulted in her letting out a high pitched squeal, what it was I did to her I do not know, but it could be the cause.
- She has been suffering in this heat, even with all the tricks I’ve been using. One will be buying a cooling mat next week to add to the temperature defences.
- She is stubbornly not drinking enough in the day, instead leaving it till late afternoon/early evening to get her fill. Even when dehydrated. Water melon has been a godsend in combatting this, but it is not enough. She is not impressed with iced water either.
- She also started the week off being slightly blocked up, again connected with the dehydration, and licking my sisters dog – a walking furball dispenser.
- She misjudged a jump over a board in the garden – this resulted in a thud to the inner thighs of the back legs, she will allow massage nearly all day.
But it has changed how I am looking at days out with her, as at 9.5yrs she is not getting any younger and arthritis in Jack Russel dogs is common, but I do not want to leave her behind one what is ‘our’ days out, even in the future.
So one has to look at alternative ways to cope – just in case she cannot walk any further – half way round.
A couple of ideas look promising, but the one I like the most, and the one that will allow greater distance walks (potentially) with her, is also the most expensive.
One now has to work out what to sell in order to buy it; but I may try one of the cheaper alternatives for the shorter walks.